Honestly it looks like slim pickings if you are a young, new driver and are looking for alternatives to purchasing a vehicle and relying on public transit. Here’s what I could find after a very quick search:
- You need to be at least 19 years old with a valid BC driver’s licence.*
- You also need to meet Modo’s driving standard:
- N licence or better;
- No at fault accidents within the past three years (or, for BC drivers, no more than one at fault accident if you have an ICBC safe driving discount of at least 35%);
- No more than two traffic violations in the past three years;
- No driving convictions under the Canadian Criminal Code or serious violations of any provincial driving legislation such as the Motor Vehicle Act.
- * You may be eligible to join with an out-of-province licence as long as you meet our driving requirements and provide the required documentation. If you do not have a BC licence, then you must be a full-time student, a diplomat or a visitor to BC who keeps a permanent residence elsewhere.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older to be eligible for application/membership; 18-20 years old if affiliated with a college or university
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license
- Applicants will be required to accept terms and conditions of the member application and member agreement (stating their driving record complies with Zipcar terms and conditions)
- In addition to the requirements above, Zipcar reserves the right to decline membership based on driving history or credit issues.
CAR 2 GO Requirements
- You must have at least two years of driving experience in the US or three years of driving experience in Canada
- A valid driver’s license, credit card and cell phone.
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Have a Minimum N license (class 7) with 3 years driving experience (including Learners)
- Not have more than 3 traffic violations in the past 36 months
- Not have any major driving violations (6+ points) or any offences that go under the Criminal Code of Canada
- Not have any current suspensions
- If you are unsure if you have any traffic violations or points against your license, check them through ICBC here.
Jack Bell Ride-Share – Ride Sharing Options
BUDGET Rent-A-Car Requirements
- The minimum age is 21. At time of rental, an underage surcharge of $19.00 per day will apply to drivers under the age of 25. Subject to applicable taxes and fees.
- All renters must present a valid driver’s license and a valid major credit card. At this time we cannot accept pre paid credit cards.
- We do not accept a learner’s license. We do not accept a Novice driver’s license at any of our locations.
Pacific Car Rental Requirements
- Pacific rents to drivers ages 21 and older. There is usually an extra charge for drivers under age 25.
- The minimum age to rent a vehicle is 21, except in Saskatchewan, where it is 18.
- A daily surcharge will apply to renters between 21-24 years old.
- Restrictions on the size and type of vehicles apply to renters between 21- 24 years old.
- Please check with Avis at 1-800-879-2847 for details.
- Renters between the ages of 21-24 may not rent vehicles in the following vehicle categories:
- Passenger Vans
- Full-size SUVs
- Premium SUVs
- U-Haul requires our customers to be 16 years of age to rent our trailers and 18 years of age to rent our trucks. Both require a valid driver’s license.
- The driver’s license can be one of the following:
– One of the 50 states
– District of Columbia
– Canadian Province
– International or from a foreign country
Check out Enterprise. Looks like they allow renting to N’s but not L’s. (Thanks VanGuest)
Let me know if I am missing anything, other than this option: