Emerging from a lane, driveway, or parking lot
Question : Hi, I am not sure if I understand this information regarding emerging from a lane, driveway, or parking lot.
So I must stop always when crossing the sidewalk? Even when coming to a parking lot from a main road? It just does not feel right.Annonmymous
No, you don’t need to stop before turning into a parking lot if there are no pedestrians anywhere to be seen for miles. ICBC nor any person in their right mind would expect you to do this either.
However, when exiting a parking lot/lane it is written in the motor vehicle act that vehicles must stop
This is probably because when you turn into a parking lot you are turning right/left and you have somewhat decent visibility of where you’re about to go in terms of pedestrian traffic.
However, when coming out of parking lots you have often very poor visibility of the immediate area. For example, on sidewalks or areas, there may be pedestrians and cyclists before vehicles.
Your car is about to cross. Especially important if there are shrubs/trees/bushes/ or anything else that blocks your visibility (fences, brick walls,..):
Motor Vehicle Act on Emerging From A Lane, Parking Lot, or Driveway176 (1) The driver of a vehicle in a business or residence district and emerging from an alley, driveway, building or private road must stop the vehicle immediately before driving onto the sidewalk or the sidewalk area extending across an alleyway or private driveway, and must yield the right of way to a pedestrian on the sidewalk or sidewalk area. The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a highway from an alley, lane, driveway, building or private road must yield the right of way to traffic approaching on the highway so closely that it constitutes an immediate hazard.
This is what you should see inside your mind
When emerging from a lane, driveway, or parking lot
Preparing for your ICBC road test? Be sure to check out my epic article: ICBC Road Test Tips For Classes 5 & 7 [Instructor Gets Deep].
- ICBC L & N Driver Restrictions [Epic Summary]
- Class 5 vs 7 Road Test ICBC [Prepare & Conquer]
- Steering Techniques for Safe Driving & Car Control
- Carmen became a driving instructor in beautiful North Vancouver at the age of 22 due to some crazy people who agreed to hire her. After that, there was never a dull moment teaching many different folks from many different places how to drive using automatic and standard vehicles and a minivan.
- September 5, 2023Driving SkillsSchool Zones in British Columbia – Driver’s Guide 
- July 24, 2023Signs, Lines and Traffic LightsRoad Signs Of Canada Decoded: Navigate Like a Pro in 2023
- July 17, 2023Driving Skills4-Way Stop Intersection – The Complete Guide For Drivers
- July 17, 2023BC IntersectionsCaulfield Exit 4-Way-Stop Intersection West Vancouver