Driving Question: What’s The Difference Between Green Light and Straight Green Arrow?
Ah, Good question!
This green arrow simply means that you have to go straight; in other words do not turn left or right.
If you have a regular green light you may be allowed to turn from the lane at the intersection. It’s kind of an extra reminder for drivers to “Go Straight Only!”
In this particular example, if you were to turn left you would be driving the wrong way down the freeway:
Many moons ago, Carmen became an ICBC-approved driving instructor at the age of 22 in North Vancouver, and has spent many years working with new and experienced drivers around the lower mainland. She can be found reading the Motor Vehicle Act for fun while receiving strange looks from others. May the quest for great driving continue!
- ICBC's Learner and New Driver Restrictions - Get the Facts
- Top 8 Tips for Reversing and Backing a Car
- Pass Your Driving Test Now! Endless Tips for New Drivers
- 8 Things to Remember about Turning Right on a Green Light
- Lane Changing Tips
- Parking Your Car In the Proper Gear - Standard and Automatic Vehicles
- 10+ Juicy Tips to Turn Left at a Traffic Light Safely
- Q: Basic Right or Left Turns Not Awesome? How to Stop Cutting Corners and Turning Wide
- Q: Is It Illegal to Drive with High Beams?
- How to Hold [and NOT hold] Your Steering Wheel
- Question: Driving Without Passenger Side Mirror
- BC Driving Blog Most Popular Content Since The Beginning of Time
- Check Your Truck Awareness
- Question On Caulfield Highway Exit ‘4-Way-Stop Intersection’ – West Vancouver
- Right Turn at W King Edward and MacDonald
- Question: Can I take my B.C. road test using a vehicle with an Alberta license plate?
- Tips for Driving & Road Testing With Manual Transmission Vehicle
- Q: I have my ‘N’ – Can my supervisor be drunk?
2 way stops 4 way stops 4-way stop backing up cars Chronicles of Alex crosswalks defensive driving Dempster Highway driving practice emergency vehicles go through a red light Icbc road test intersection intersections intersection turns lane changing learn to drive left turn left turn at traffic light left turn green light left turns N restrictions parking parking for new drivers pedestrians playground zone red lights reversing right of way right turn right turns Road test road test experience road test tips shoulder checks speed limits stop signs student drivers traffic traffic lights traffic sensors transportation turn signals yellow lines