Spooky Halloween Tips for Drivers
- Drive extra slowly in residential areas
- Reduce/eliminate your distractions and pay close attention
- Enter and exit driveways slowly
- Do not pass vehicles that have stopped in the roadway; they could be dropping off children
- Pay extra attention at crosswalks, intersections and the side of the road
- Keep scanning all around you as you drive and be aware of your surroundings
- Do you really have to be driving? If not, then don’t
- Remember your turn signals (as usual, but it’s important)
- Keep in mind children wearing costumes may not be able to see properly
- Check behind your vehicle before reversing and honk before reversing out of a driveway (preferably you reverse into a driveway so you don’t need to reverse out)
- Plan an alternate route around residential areas, if possible
- Leave lots of extra time
- If you’re late, don’t stress. Better late than never.
- Have a safe and happy Halloween!
Halloween safety Tips for Kids, Parents and Goblins
- Make sure your kids are dressed in reflective gear, give them a few glow sticks or flash lights; if nothing else attach some reflective tape to their costume
- Teach them not to dart across the road, cross only at the corners and look left & right (always look left first); better yet, go with them and use the opportunity to teach them about how to be a safe pedestrian
- Remind them not to rely on their ears alone; they must look as well; many new vehicles are very quiet (especially hybrids)
- Walk facing traffic, especially if there is no sidewalk
- Consider a community centre for younger children vs. trick or treating
- Paint or decorate your pumpkin rather than cutting it to avoid having children use sharp objects.
- Paint your child’s costume rather than giving them a mask or something similar as these can seriously restrict their vision
- Remind children not to update their Facebook status (or whatever) while walking across the street !
- Carmen became a driving instructor in beautiful North Vancouver at the age of 22 due to some crazy people who agreed to hire her. After that, there was never a dull moment teaching many different folks from many different places how to drive using automatic and standard vehicles and a minivan.
- September 5, 2023Driving SkillsSchool Zones in British Columbia – Driver’s Guide 
- July 24, 2023Signs, Lines and Traffic LightsRoad Signs Of Canada Decoded: Navigate Like a Pro in 2023
- July 17, 2023Driving Skills4-Way Stop Intersection – The Complete Guide For Drivers
- July 17, 2023BC IntersectionsCaulfield Exit 4-Way-Stop Intersection West Vancouver