Hello! Welcome to BC Driving Blog, which translates into British Columbia Driving Blog! It is an educational site meant for anyone who wants to learn how to drive, general driving tips, and general driving information in British Columbia. It may be helpful for anyone who is trying to teach someone else how to drive, too.
It is full of BC driving rules and laws, educational, etiquette, instructional articles, how-to articles, videos, and much more, all written by an experienced driving instructor (me).
I’m Carmen, and I became a driving instructor many moons ago when I was 22, in beautiful North Vancouver, Canada. It was the perfect place to be a driving instructor, and I only truly knew how lucky I was until I tried to teach driving lessons elsewhere. It just has the perfect mix of everything you need in terms of stop signs, freeways, etc,. and the way it all fits together is rather magical.
You can read a bit more about me on my about page.
The main purpose of this site is to help people that may not have access to a driving instructor or driving lessons. Anyone that wants to learn how to drive, or learn about the rules of driving in British Columbia and beyond.
I no longer teach driving, but when I was resigning, I decided to start this site as a way to keep this “driving instructor brain” that I had, alive. Perhaps other people could find it useful. I truly feel like learning how to drive can be tough, and I wanted to share my knowledge with whoever may want to check it out.
Think of it kind of like driving lessons that have morphed into a website. BC Driving Blog has been a thing since 2012, and I’m excited to give it a fresh new life in 2022.
A few pics from my adventures
My favourite adventure was when my sister and I drove from Vancouver to Inuvik, which is basically “the end of the road” on the remote and beautiful Dempster Highway, in the Yukon and Northwest Territories. For anyone who doesn’t know, the term “midnight sun” is a literal reality; the sun was shining in the sky at midnight.
Many of these articles started as a simple idea, a simple list, even, and somehow morphed over the years into the wild beasts that they are today. However, most have a table of contents that allow you to jump to a section, so feel free to use that function.
Here are some popular articles on the site.
The most popular content right now (January, 2022)
- ICBC’s N&L Driver Restrictions – Brilliant Summary & FAQ
- ICBC Road Test – 35+ Mighty Insider Tips for Best Results
- Signals When Backing Up Your Car – Stop The Confusion Now
- Tips to Turn Left at a Traffic Light – Less Than 1 Million
- School and Playground Zones BC – Complete Guide
- Turning Right on a Green Light – 7+ Essential Tips for Drivers
- Class 5 vs Class 7 Road Test – Successfully Conquer Either
- Stop Sign vs Stop Sign – Driver’s Stopping Guide & FAQ
- Hazard Perception Ideas for ICBC Road Test Prep & Practice
- Turning Corners Not Awesome? Stop Cutting Corners & Turning Wide
- Residential Streets & Speed Limit Guide for Beautiful BC
- Reverse Stall Parking 101 – Beginner Tutorial for New Drivers
- Three Ways to Report Dangerous Drivers in British Columbia
- Road Signs of Canada – Understand Shapes, Colours, Meanings
- How to Lane Change in 3 Steps – Unbelievable Proven Formula
- ICBC Road Test Results Sheet – Unpacking the 5 Global Skills
- ICBC Knowledge Test & Practice Test – Detailed Guide
- L & N Drivers in the USA?
- Road Lines & Pavement Markings – Extraordinary Guide
- New Driver Car Rental, Car Sharing, & Car for Road Test Options
There are so many articles on this site (hundreds), many of which just answer a simple question. So feel free to use the search bar if you’re wondering something specific.
Connect with me
I love hearing from readers. Feel free to ask a question or just say hi on any of the following social media platforms:
Browse the categories
Not sure what you’re looking for? Browse the categories to find something new and exciting :)
Or check out a few of my personal favourites:
- A Road Test Experience & Tips From a Student Driver
- A Road Test Experience & Tips From a Student Driver #2
- King Edward and MacDonald – How to Deal With It
- What is Defensive Driving? 13 Rock Solid Strategies & Tips
- Driving Practice Areas Can Be Non-Stressful (Vancouver/Burnaby)
- Yellow Light Uncomplicated
- Epic Guide to Turning Right on a Red Light
- Blind Spots in a Car – 1 Undeniable Challenge of Driving
- Changing Lanes in an Intersection – Top 3 Reasons to Avoid It
- How To Lane Change
New to Vancouver or BC?