Everyone knows that being a new driver can suck. For example, insurance can cost more. No one wants to let you drive their car. And looking at new driver car rental options can seem daunting.
Honestly it looks like slim pickings if you are a young, new driver and are looking for alternatives to purchasing a vehicle and relying on public transit. Here’s what I could find after a very quick search…
Here are some new driver car rental options
- You need to be at least 19 years old with a valid BC driver’s licence.*
- You also need to meet Modo’s driving standard:
- N licence or better;
- No at fault accidents within the past three years (or, for BC drivers, no more than one at fault accident if you have an ICBC safe driving discount of at least 35%);
- No more than two traffic violations in the past three years;
- No driving convictions under the Canadian Criminal Code or serious violations of any provincial driving legislation such as the Motor Vehicle Act.
- * You may be eligible to join with an out-of-province licence as long as you meet our driving requirements and provide the required documentation. If you do not have a BC licence, then you must be a full-time student, a diplomat or a visitor to BC who keeps a permanent residence elsewhere.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older to be eligible for application/membership; 18-20 years old if affiliated with a college or university
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license
- Applicants will be required to accept terms and conditions of the member application and member agreement (stating their driving record complies with Zipcar terms and conditions)
- In addition to the requirements above, Zipcar reserves the right to decline membership based on driving history or credit issues.
CAR 2 GO Requirements
- You must have at least two years of driving experience in the US or three years of driving experience in Canada
- A valid driver’s license, credit card and cell phone.
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Have a Minimum N license (class 7) with 3 years driving experience (including Learners)
- Not have more than 3 traffic violations in the past 36 months
- Not have any major driving violations (6+ points) or any offences that go under the Criminal Code of Canada
- Not have any current suspensions
- If you are unsure if you have any traffic violations or points against your license, check them through ICBC here.
Jack Bell Ride-Share – Ride Sharing Options
MORE new driver car rental options
BUDGET Rent-A-Car Requirements
- The minimum age is 21. At time of rental, an underage surcharge of $19.00 per day will apply to drivers under the age of 25. Subject to applicable taxes and fees.
- All renters must present a valid driver’s license and a valid major credit card. At this time we cannot accept pre paid credit cards.
- We do not accept a learner’s license. We do not accept a Novice driver’s license at any of our locations.
Pacific Car Rental Requirements
- Pacific rents to drivers ages 21 and older. There is usually an extra charge for drivers under age 25.
- The minimum age to rent a vehicle is 21, except in Saskatchewan, where it is 18.
- A daily surcharge will apply to renters between 21-24 years old.
- Restrictions on the size and type of vehicles apply to renters between 21- 24 years old.
- Please check with Avis at 1-800-879-2847 for details.
- Renters between the ages of 21-24 may not rent vehicles in the following vehicle categories:
- Passenger Vans
- Full-size SUVs
- Premium SUVs
- U-Haul requires our customers to be 16 years of age to rent our trailers and 18 years of age to rent our trucks. Both require a valid driver’s license.
- The driver’s license can be one of the following:
– One of the 50 states
– District of Columbia
– Canadian Province
– International or from a foreign country
Check out Enterprise. Looks like they allow renting to N’s but not L’s. (Thanks VanGuest)
Let me know if I am missing anything, other than this option: