Lyft Driving Requirements – What You Need
Signing up and driving for Lyft is not too different from signing up for other ride-sharing services. The lyft driving requirements are all listed here.
Just note that the requirements and some details may vary by city. Find your particular city and see the requirements here.
Lyft is a platform that connects drivers with individuals and organizations that need rides.
Here’s what you need to apply & Start driving with lyft
- Your driver’s license
- You must meet the minimum age requirement (varies by city/region
- Criminal background check & a driving history background check *This is not a credit check
- Your vehicle’s insurance and registration if you’re using your own car.
- Depending on your region, you may need a vehicle inspection too
- Background checks will normally take about 2-4 days.
- You also need a ‘cellular connection‘… so Wifi-only iPads will not be acceptable.
- You must take the Community Safety Education Program, which aims to empower drivers to handle challenging passenger situations. In addition it helps to create a safe and comfortable ride for everyone.
Lyft Driving Requirements: Vehicle Details
- Your vehicle must have 4 doors
- Vehicles must have at least 5 seatbelts (including the driver’s), and a maximum of 8 seatbelts
If you don’t have your own vehicle
- If you don’t have your own, you can use a rental vehicle to drive with Lyft.
- The rental vehicle must be rented through the Express Drive program.
- Don’t consider a rental vehicle from anywhere else as Lyft will not approve it
SubCompact Vehicles Not Accepted
subcompact car – a car smaller than a compact car
compact car – a small and economical car
Lyft will not accept certain vehicles. I suppose they are just ‘too small’ to offer a comfortable ride for passengers, in the eyes of Lyft.
Lyft will not Accept The following vehicles
…unless you’ve already been driving for Lyft with it before February 25, 2019; although I’m pretty sure such people will never be reading this, but anyway.
- Chevrolet: Aveo, Aveo5, Metro, Sonic, Volt
- Daewoo: Lanos
- Ford: Fiesta
- Hyundai: Accent
- Kia: Rio, Rio 5-Door, Rio Cinco, Rio5
- Mazda: Mazda 2
- MINI: Cooper, Cooper Clubman, Cooper Countryman, Cooper Countryman Hybrid, Cooper Hardtop, Cooper S, Cooper S Clubman, Cooper S Countryman, Cooper S Countryman All4, Cooper S Countryman All4 Hybrid, Cooper S Countryman Hybrid, Cooper S Hardtop
- Pontiac: G3
- Scion: xD
Well there you have it, the basic things you need to apply and start driving with Lyft.
Requirements do vary by city, so make sure to look up your city for the specifics. Happy Lyfting!