‘Hidden’ Stop Signs?
- All drivers – new drivers especially – should be aware that stop signs can “hide” behind trucks as well as overgrown bushes/shrubs.
- Keep your eyes constantly moving when driving and look for clues that there’s an intersection.
- If you’re not sure if you have a stop sign (or a pedestrian) or not, it is better to be safe than sorry; go slow enough to check it out.
- If you can see the back of another stop sign, then there is a 99% chance that you will be facing a stop sign too (my own personal calculation)
- Pay attention to the shapes of signs. Signs of this shape will never say anything else other than “STOP.” It is illegal for vehicles to park where they are obstructing the view of a sign, but it may happen anyway.
- What else could be hiding behind the truck?
Carmen C. is the founder of DrivingInstructorBlog.com After becoming an ICBC-GLP (Graduated Licensing Program) driving instructor at the age of 22, she worked for about 8 years teaching driving lessons in beautiful North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
In 2012 she decided to pour her knowledge into a website and share this information with the world! 🌎 She no longer teaches, but enjoys writing and maintaining this blog, creating abstract art when inspired, and photography.