Did you know that parking lots are the second most common place where collisions occur, after intersections?
ICBC has released a list of the most dangerous parking lots for pedestrians between 2008 and 2012.
A statement from Concorde security on precautions that drivers should take: “Before they throw their car in reverse and start moving, they really need to look what’s behind them,” said operations manager James Blight. “We also see people texting and driving in parking lots, which is a big no-no.”
And the winner (uh, loser) is…
- Metrotown Mall in Burnaby: 3,590 crashes with 231 injured, including 32 pedestrians
- Coquitlam Centre in Coquitlam: 1,610 crashes with 99 injured, including 17 pedestrians
- Park Royal Mall in West Vancouver: 2,490 crashes with 182 injured, including 17 pedestrians
- Richmond Centre in Richmond: 1,820 crashes with 64 injured, including 15 pedestrians
- Guildford Mall in Surrey: 1,840 crashes with 134 injured, including 14 pedestrians
- Willowbrook Mall in Langley: 1,540 crashes with 160 injured, including 11 pedestrians
- Oakridge Mall in Vancouver: 1,490 crashes with 89 injured, including 10 pedestrians
- Brentwood Mall in Burnaby: 1,090 crashes with 53 injured, including five pedestrians
- Yaohan Centre in Richmond: 352 crashes with 13 injured, including four pedestrians
- Meadowtown Centre in Pitt Meadows: 156 crashes with 50 injured, including four pedestrians
- Seven Oaks Mall in Abbotsford: 1,840 crashes with 134 injured
- Morgan Crossing in Surrey: 118 crashes with nine injured
It doesn’t really matter what parking lot you’re in; drivers and pedestrians please be extra cautious around this busy time of year (and hopefully, all year as well).
- do a 360 check before reversing
- SLOW DOWN
- avoid distractions
- honk before reversing if visibility is poor
- Reverse into a parking spot whenever possible so you don’t have to reverse to get out of it
- wear bright or visible clothing
- get eye contact from drivers
- avoid distractions
- use marked crosswalks
- watch where you’re going (do not text and walk!)
Carmen C. is the founder of DrivingInstructorBlog.com After becoming an ICBC-GLP (Graduated Licensing Program) driving instructor at the age of 22, she worked for about 8 years teaching driving lessons in beautiful North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
In 2012 she decided to pour her knowledge into a website and share this information with the world! 🌎 She no longer teaches, but enjoys writing and maintaining this blog, creating abstract art when inspired, and photography.