Q: Turn Signal on behalf of the Car Ahead
Q: Someone I know uses the turn signal to signal if a car in front of us is turning. I say we shouldn’t because the vehicle behind us will then expect us to turn. We should only signal what we are doing in our vehicle, correct?
That sounds very strange to me! You’re right, brake lights should do the trick and a signal when you aren’t turning could easily get you into trouble… What happens after the car in front turns, you then suddenly turn off your turn signal and continue straight ahead? when oncoming traffic thinks you’re turning and so do the cars behind and all around you? This sounds pretty dangerous if you ask me. Just my opinion..
Also it should be common knowledge that when driving in a left lane, sooner or later you may have to wait for someone to turn left, this is a fact of life! Just like if you’re driving in the right lane, you may have to stop because the car in front of you is turning right and stopped for a pedestrian. Drivers should be used to these everyday occurrences… shouldn’t they?
Death by turn signal
SAE International: (not exactly the same issue, but definitely related)
“The data presented here should serve as a wake-up call to all citizens, vehicle manufacturers, research institutes and government entities that are involved in vehicle safety. A greater focus is needed at the highest levels to create an overall awareness that turn signal neglect is an injury and death problem, as well as a property damage problem, and that the in-vehicle technology to combat this is available and adds no cost. Turn signal neglect is a problem that causes more crashes than distracted driving and if “neglect” of the use of turn signals is the message in this study, then “neglect of the neglect” is the story of the automotive safety community.”
- Pass Your Driving Test Now! Endless Tips for New Drivers
- Top 8 Tips for Reversing and Backing a Car
- ICBC's Learner and New Driver Restrictions - Get the Facts
- 8 Things to Remember about Turning Right on a Green Light
- Parking Your Car In the Proper Gear - Standard and Automatic Vehicles
- Q: Basic Right or Left Turns Not Awesome? How to Stop Cutting Corners and Turning Wide
- Hand Signals for Driving
- Lane Changing Tips
- 10+ Juicy Tips to Turn Left at a Traffic Light Safely
- How to Hold [and NOT hold] Your Steering Wheel
- Question: Driving Without Passenger Side Mirror
- BC Driving Blog Most Popular Content Since The Beginning of Time
- Check Your Truck Awareness
- Question On Caulfield Highway Exit ‘4-Way-Stop Intersection’ – West Vancouver
- Right Turn at W King Edward and MacDonald
- Question: Can I take my B.C. road test using a vehicle with an Alberta license plate?
- Tips for Driving & Road Testing With Manual Transmission Vehicle
- Q: I have my ‘N’ – Can my supervisor be drunk?