Q: How long should a new driver drive for before attempting the first road test?
New drivers should drive for at least 60 hours before the road test.
(Keep a record log). This is the official recommendation from ICBC, and, from experienced driving instructors as well.
After 10 hours of driving..
Most new drivers can control the vehicle in a smooth way, but aren’t sure about right of way or traffic rules.
After about 30 hours of driving…
Most new drivers know what to do, but aren’t very confident or efficient. Their parking may or may not be very good.
After about 60 hours of driving…
Most new drivers will have built up a certain level of confidence, knowledge, and skill.
On the road test, the examiner wants to see not only that you know what to do in a number of different traffic situations, but also that you are safe, legal, confident and efficient. In addition, you should be able to recognize errors in other drivers and respond appropriately.
It is never a bad idea to take a driving lesson as an assessment before your road test.
- ICBC's Learner and New Driver Restrictions - Get the Facts
- Pass Your Driving Test Now! Endless Tips for New Drivers
- Top 8 Tips for Reversing and Backing a Car
- 8 Things to Remember about Turning Right on a Green Light
- Q: Basic Right or Left Turns Not Awesome? How to Stop Cutting Corners and Turning Wide
- 10+ Juicy Tips to Turn Left at a Traffic Light Safely
- Lane Changing Tips
- School and Playground Zones
- Parking Your Car In the Proper Gear - Standard and Automatic Vehicles
- How to Hold [and NOT hold] Your Steering Wheel
- Question: Driving Without Passenger Side Mirror
- BC Driving Blog Most Popular Content Since The Beginning of Time
- Check Your Truck Awareness
- Question On Caulfield Highway Exit ‘4-Way-Stop Intersection’ – West Vancouver
- Right Turn at W King Edward and MacDonald
- Question: Can I take my B.C. road test using a vehicle with an Alberta license plate?
- Tips for Driving & Road Testing With Manual Transmission Vehicle
- Q: I have my ‘N’ – Can my supervisor be drunk?