A Left Turn, with a Right Turn (Vid) for new drivers
Left turns and right turns are very different; but just because they’re different doesn’t mean they can’t get along and live together.
Just one example keeping your left turn as safe as possible:
- Don’t trust the turn signal of any other vehicle (unless your mom is driving it, and even then)
- Don’t turn at the same time as the right turn
- Don’t turn until you’re 130% sure it is safe
- Don’t expect other drivers will be perfect and follow the rules
- DO wait and see if the vehicle will turn
- DO stagger your turn
- DO check for pedestrians before you turn
- DO be patient especially when turning left
Drive Safely all.
Many moons ago, Carmen became an ICBC-approved driving instructor at the age of 22 in North Vancouver, and has spent many years working with new and experienced drivers around the lower mainland. She can be found reading the Motor Vehicle Act for fun while receiving strange looks from others. May the quest for great driving continue!
- Pass Your Driving Test Now! Endless Tips for New Drivers
- Top 8 Tips for Reversing and Backing a Car
- ICBC's Learner and New Driver Restrictions - Get the Facts
- 8 Things to Remember about Turning Right on a Green Light
- Q: Basic Right or Left Turns Not Awesome? How to Stop Cutting Corners and Turning Wide
- 10+ Juicy Tips to Turn Left at a Traffic Light Safely
- Q: Signalling in a Parking Lot
- Q: Should you stop at the Stop Sign or the Stop Line?
- Lane Changing Tips
- Parking Your Car In the Proper Gear - Standard and Automatic Vehicles
- Question: Driving Without Passenger Side Mirror
- BC Driving Blog Most Popular Content Since The Beginning of Time
- Check Your Truck Awareness
- Question On Caulfield Highway Exit ‘4-Way-Stop Intersection’ – West Vancouver
- Right Turn at W King Edward and MacDonald
- Question: Can I take my B.C. road test using a vehicle with an Alberta license plate?
- Tips for Driving & Road Testing With Manual Transmission Vehicle
- Q: I have my ‘N’ – Can my supervisor be drunk?
2 way stops 4 way stops 4-way stop backing up cars Chronicles of Alex crosswalks defensive driving Dempster Highway driving practice emergency vehicles go through a red light Icbc road test intersection intersections intersection turns lane changing learn to drive left turn left turn at traffic light left turn green light left turns N restrictions parking parking for new drivers pedestrians playground zone red lights reversing right of way right turn right turns Road test road test experience road test tips shoulder checks speed limits stop signs student drivers traffic traffic lights traffic sensors transportation turn signals yellow lines