ICBC’s Learner and New Driver Restrictions – Get the Facts

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “ICBC’s Learner and New Driver Restrictions – Get the Facts”.

685 Comments

1. Upset with ICBC February 6, 2018 at 5:29 pm

How about this… Currently hold a Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License, and have for well over 10 years. Get pulled over in BC and on the spot 2 month prohibition. Saying that ICBC has me recognized as a N Driver’s License, due to two speeding violation tickets…
    I have not held a BC N License in 12 years!
    Riddle me that one Batman.

2. C November 27, 2017 at 8:05 am

I have a question… I am taking my N to full license today, and am borrowing someone’s vehicle that has a 10 year safe drivers discount insurance on it. Does this work out okay? Or do I need to get them to up their insurance?

To be specific it is my moms car, and I have read somewhere I think that if I am a member of the household that she needs better insurance, however, I do not live with her anymore???

Pls help

3. Lizzy October 28, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Received speeding ticket in alberta and have to return to court..I have a n bc license…can alberta take my bc license.

4. Name October 17, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I’m not sure I understand the rule about electronics use…does that mean L and N drivers can’t even listen to the radio or music from their phone via bluetooth? What about wearing a smart watch but not using it?

5. Anuj Manchanda October 5, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Yes! You can drive with more people depending upon the number of seatbelts. As long as you drive with a supervisor sitting in a front seat holding class 1,2,3,4,or 5; there should be no problem.

6. Nancy McManus October 3, 2017 at 6:28 pm

What should I do if I know that a driver with an L is driving with a passenger in their car and no supervisor? Unfortunately I know the name of the driver but not the license plate # of the vehicle. Both the driver and the passenger have L’s. It annoys me that she thinks she can get away with it and has done, because she is in her late 20’s, so I imagine when she drives by a police cruiser, they may not be sure if she is the Learner, or if the L belongs to someone else that uses the vehicle.

1. Nancy McManus October 5, 2017 at 8:59 pm

This is helpful if I see this on the road and have a license #, but as I said, I do not know the license plate # of the driver, and only know this is occurring because I know both the driver and the passenger. I haven’t had an opportunity to witness it, it is from the passenger that I happened to find out it was occurring.

1. Carmen October 7, 2017 at 4:15 pm

I think you can still call the non-emergency police line.

2. Anonymous November 29, 2017 at 8:16 pm

what you are saying is hearsay, no actual documentation or evidence apart from what you heard. it’s all rumors. You weren’t in the car to witness it. Nothing will happen.

7. A October 1, 2017 at 11:14 am

“You are allowed to drive between 5 am and midnight only”

This must be a typo

1. Carmen October 3, 2017 at 6:37 pm

That’s for “L” Drivers, not for “N” Drivers.

2. Name October 10, 2017 at 5:10 pm

It’s not a typo, it means that you can drive from 5 am until midnight. It just looks wrong because you are likely used to seeing when you can’t drive.

3. Name October 10, 2017 at 5:13 pm

It’s not a typo, it just means that you can only drive from 5 am until midnight. You might think of it as a typo because you could be used to seeing when you can’t drive.