ICBC’s Learner and New Driver Restrictions – Get the Facts

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “ICBC’s Learner and New Driver Restrictions – Get the Facts”.

685 Comments

1. reddy September 5, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Hi

I got my N license in July 18th , 2017 and i hit the parked vehicle when i was reversing the vehicle on sept 3, 2017. Is this incident will effect my N license ( suspension, cancellation, ).

2. Brittney September 2, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Hi, Urgent Question. My N license which I have had for 16 years now (I know) is set to expire when I am out of the country. Will I still be able to renew it? Will I just have to start the 24 month waiting period again? Or will they make me redo my test?

3. Kevin August 7, 2017 at 9:54 am

My girlfriend got in an yesterday accident. We heard from a friend who’s a police officer than icbc can suspend her licence and she restarts her N. First accident, minor fender bender, I don’t see why icbc would take her licence away for that. I’ve done much worse years ago when I had my N and never had problems.

1. Carmen August 9, 2017 at 11:24 am

Hi. I don’t think it has much to do with a collision as much as tickets, or points. So did she get any tickets or points related to that accident ? If not I don’t think you have anything to worry about . I also had a collision that was my fault with my N and no one took my license away. The Superintendent reviews New Drivers’ license record when they have 3 or more points, otherwise I don’t think the small collision will draw attention to them.

4. Phaedra Stuart July 28, 2017 at 3:00 pm

What does restrictions 21, 45, 47 mean on a class 7 driver’s license?

1. Carmen August 9, 2017 at 11:27 am

21 – Corrective lenses required
      45 – 1 passenger only (immediate family members exempt) unless
      accompanied by qualified supervisor age 25+

I am not sure about 47 but if that is your restriction it should explain it in very small letters on the back of your driver’s license.

1. lakhvir bains September 14, 2017 at 12:13 pm

47 0 BAC: Must display “N” sign; No Electronic Device

0 BAC – 0 “Zero” body alchohol content

5. John McLean July 27, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Hey, I just got my N, and have a question regarding GPS devices. I know the rule states that N drivers cannot “use” a GPS device, but was wondering what that exactly means. Does that mean operating/working with the GPS device while driving or simply looking at it? For instance, can I set the GPS device while parked and place it in a position that does not obstruct my view, and then simply look at it once in a while I am driving to get directions or is that illegal?

1. Carmen August 9, 2017 at 11:32 am

Hi, I know this is confusing. Apparently “use” also means looking at the screen.So you really aren’t supposed to have a GPS on until you get rid of your N.

6. Leo July 19, 2017 at 7:00 am

How long can you drive with a “N” before you have to get your real licence

1. Carmen July 20, 2017 at 12:01 am

You can drive with your N forever if you want, you just have to renew it when it expires by going into ICBC and paying them more money and a new photograph.

7. Bubbie June 24, 2017 at 8:10 am

My granddaughter ha started her driving lessons and made an appointment for her test but the only time available is in July yet her L expires at the end of June. Will she be able to renew her L without having to wait another year before taking her road test for her N. Bubbie

1. Carmen June 24, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Oh yes that is no problem… she just has to go to ICBC and redo the knowledge test to renew the L.

8. Matt June 17, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Hi, I have my “N”. Am I allowed to drive with as many people as the vehicular legally holds if there is a 25+ person with a valid class 5 license if they are over the legal alcohol limit?

1. Anuj Manchanda October 5, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Yes! You can drive with more people depending upon the number of seatbelts. As long as you drive with a supervisor sitting in a front seat holding class 1,2,3,4,or 5; there should be no problem.

9. Austin June 14, 2017 at 2:55 pm

I got a ticket while driving with my L can I still take my N test