ICBC’s Learner and New Driver Restrictions – Get the Facts

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “ICBC’s Learner and New Driver Restrictions – Get the Facts”.

685 Comments

1. Jimmy May 23, 2014 at 11:00 am

Can you drive as an N driver indivinately ?

1. BCDrivingBlog May 23, 2014 at 6:04 pm

indivin what? If your N expires you can just renew it again and keep doing that for the rest of your life, if that’s what you mean.

2. Guest03 May 23, 2014 at 12:33 am

Is it legal for somebody 25 and older to be in the front seat with a learner while they still have their N?

1. BCDrivingBlog May 23, 2014 at 12:37 am

NO!! Learner drivers can not be supervised by ‘New’ drivers. The supervisor must have a Class 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5; the ‘N’ is a Class 7.

3. Louisa May 16, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Do out of province/country full licenses count as that “over 25 with a valid class #”? I have my N and I am currently shuttling around 1 person out of a group of 50 around the city. It would be nice to drive more instead of driving back and forth constantly to pick up one person. This group is from New Zealand.

1. Grant May 19, 2014 at 3:05 pm

The MVA regulations don’t say anything about where the licence is from, only that it allows them to drive whatever vehicle you’re in.

30.071 (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person to whom a Class 7 licence is issued on or after October 6, 2003 must not carry more than one passenger while operating a motor vehicle of a category designated in section 30.01 (2) for that class of driver’s licence unless the person is accompanied by another person who
      (a) is at least 25 years of age or is a licensed driver training instructor engaged in providing practical driver training to the person in accordance with Division 27,
      (b) holds a valid and subsisting driver’s licence, other than a learner’s licence or a Class 7 licence, of a class that permits him or her to operate a motor vehicle of that category, and
      (c) occupies
      (i) the seat beside the operator, or
      (ii) the seat or area immediately behind and to the right of the operator, in the case of a motor vehicle of the category designated for the class of licence issued in which there is no seat beside the operator.
      (2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a passenger who is an immediate family member of the person.

1. BCDrivingBlog May 19, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Cheers

4. Vanessa May 15, 2014 at 4:55 pm

do cousins count as family members?

1. BCDrivingBlog May 15, 2014 at 6:55 pm

No unfortunately cousins aren’t included in the list of what constitutes an ‘immediate’ family member.

5. Jason May 14, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Is it legal if I take my friend (non-family) and my brother in my car whilst I’m still in my N stage? It’s 2 passengers but it does state family members are exempt

1. BCDrivingBlog May 15, 2014 at 5:34 am

Yes that’s fine, it’s a good idea to always have ID for all the people in the car every time, just in case you need to prove he’s actually your brother!

6. jo May 9, 2014 at 11:02 am

I only have my L. I also have a baby. I have my fully licensed driver with me .. does my baby count as my one and only “1 passenger?’

1. BCDrivingBlog May 9, 2014 at 11:16 pm

I believe so.

7. Jack January 27, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Can you use your phone as a GPS?

8. Kevyn Ukoustoff January 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Question with the whole Supervisor and and Passenger restrictions. If u have a person with their N driving her (2) Parents ( 1 being the supervisor) who are intoxicated and 2 family friends who are intoxicated, Is that legal to have a intoxicated supervisor?

1. BCDrivingBlog January 17, 2014 at 7:30 pm

This seems like a grey area as it does not indicate the rules regarding this in any ICBC information. According to the superintendent of Motor vehicles :“That said, whenever someone is the qualified supervisor of an ‘L’ or ‘N’ driver, it is expected that this person not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs to help ensure they can provide any necessary assistance or advice to the relatively new driver,” he wrote.

Read more here: http://drivesmartbc.ca/impaired-driving/new-bc-impaired-driving-legislation/care-control-while-supervising-learner

2. Anonymous January 23, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I believe there was a case where a boy drove his intoxicated grandfather and they had to face consequences. http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9050302

1. BCDrivingBlog January 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Yes, that is where I got the quote from the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles from. Maybe it’s one of those things where there is nothing written but it’s supposed to be common sense. Like the whole reason to have a supervisor is that there is somebody responsible in the car who is able and whose job is to supervise (duh?) So if the supervisor is asleep, or drunk, or in the back seat watching a movie with their headphones on, can they still be a good ‘supervisor’ and say something to the driver if the driver is about to make a fatal error!? NO! NO They can’t!!!

9. Anonymous November 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm

The process takes too long I think it’s past ridiculous. Learner permit no longer then 6 months is appropriate and 1 year with n it’s so stupid you don’t have a valid license when you are old enough to move out and go on with your adult life. What a joke.

1 2 3 34