FAQ

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “FAQ ”.

10 comments

Dave July 9, 2017 at 11:38 am

Question on parking signs in Vancouver.
If there is a no parking sign, with no arrows, what is the distance that sign good for? Is it for the entire block? Or is there a set distance? Thanks.

Carmen July 10, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Hi, I’m looking into it!

A.R. September 25, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Hi,
I will be appearing for my Class 5 road test in 2 weeks. I had license from a different country so was able to go straight for the Class 5 test. However, I have failed once already and the main issue was my steering technique.
Can you please tell me if “hand-over-hand” or “shuffle” steering is mandatory here in BC or the examiner just looks to see if you have complete control on the steering?
Thanks

BCDrivingBlog September 25, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Hi, basically you do have to use hand-over-hand OR shuffle, OR a combination of those two techniques. Using only 1 hand to steer is NOT OK, hooking the wheel or grabbing the inside of the steering wheel is NOT OK, palming the wheel where you just use your palm to move the steering wheel is NOT OK either!! Yes they are also looking that it’s smooth and the vehicle is nicely controlled.

Have you read this one?

A.R. September 30, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I have two more questions. My first question (which may sound stupid :)) – Suppose when making a left turn I use my right hand to push the steering to the 12 o’ clock position and then use my left hand to pull it down from the 12 o’ clock position of the steering – will this push-pull be considered a shuffle technique?

Also when reviving back the steering, if the steering is allowed to slide back to its position, with both my hands keeping control of the steering at the same time & not letting it go off completely – will this considered an error?

I am sorry if my questions sound stupid but any feedback will be appreciable.
Thanks again.

mariya August 20, 2015 at 1:11 pm

how does examiner choose examinee for the road test appointment?is it a random choice?

BCDrivingBlog August 24, 2015 at 11:45 pm

I think so ! Just whichever examiner is done with the previous person first, I guess.

Jeremy Motley May 26, 2015 at 9:13 am

is it illegal to keep an N or L on the back all the time even if the driver is not in the learners or new category

BCDrivingBlog May 26, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Hi, I don’t know, I’m going to ask the police and I’ll let you know what they say. Since ICBC didn’t really give me a good answer on this one.

BCDrivingBlog May 29, 2015 at 11:37 am

I got an answer from the VPD:

The simple answer is “ no “it is not illegal, but keep in mind that you may be stopped if you are the lone occupant of the vehicle driving while displaying an “L” sign. The “L” sign requires the driver to be accompanied by a qualified supervisor. If an officer sees a vehicle operated by a lone individual while displaying an “L” sign the officer will more than likely stop the vehicle to ascertain if he/she is contravening the licence restrictions.