4-way Stops -> Like a Boss

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “4-way Stops -> Like a Boss”.

21 Comments

1. pav November 28, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Can someone change there mind about which way they are turning at a 4 way stop. Before they start the turn and when there is no traffic at any other stops. Or does the you must have your signal on 100 ft before a turn apply. This is a frustrating law that has become a huge question in my town.

2. Marie September 30, 2017 at 4:41 pm

There is an intersection in my neighbourhood that causes a lot of confusion. It is a 4 way stop (4 way sign under stop sign) but it has 2 pull out lanes for right turns (each with another stop sign but no 4 way sign under them) as well as 2 left turn lanes.
    I would appreciate some clarification on this since I have young drivers that I would like to educate on the proper use of this intersection.
    If I am approaching the intersection and using one of the right turn lanes do I have to wait until the entire intersection is cleared before I get right of way (I could be here all day since it’s a busy one) or do I proceed with right of way in order of cars approaching the intersection as an ALL WAY stop situation?
    The lanes are as follows from the north side of the intersection there is 1 lane to go south and 1 lane going north (2 lanes only from the north), from the south there is a right turn lane (with separate stop sign) and a lane to go north and a left (west) turn lane (3 lanes from the south), from the east there is one lane to go west (straight) and a left south turn lane as well as a lane going east (3 lanes from the east) from the west there is a right turn separate lane (with stop sign) and a lane to go east as well as a lane going west (3 lanes).
    In total there are 11 lanes at this intersection.
    Can you help me with this?

1. Carmen September 30, 2017 at 7:48 pm

hi what are the street names?

1. Marie October 1, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Carmen the intersection is in West Vancouver just after you get off the Caulfeild Exit 4. After you turn left from HWY 1 exit you will hit this 4 way stop.
        The street names are a bit confusing because there are several at this intersection.
        To the north is Northwood Dr (lots of drivers coming from this direction barely even stop), to the south is Headland Dr, to the west is Westport Rd and the road to the east where the highway exits onto is Woodgreen Dr.
        I can send you a google map screen shot if that would help or you could google map it yourself and see what I mean by how confusing it is.

1. Carmen October 7, 2017 at 4:19 pm

I’m checking it out.. I used to teach driving lessons on the North Shore for many years so I am sure I know it. I’m checking the map!

2. Carmen October 7, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Oh yes this one is fun, isn’t it. I’m waiting for a new dashboard camera in the mail as mine broke; As soon as I get that I will go there and make a video as I always need new stuff for my blog anyway (thanks for the great example of challenging intersection). I hope that will help.

In the meantime -my hopefully not-too-convoluted answer- would be that the drivers facing the regular or ‘non-4-way-stop’ sign, should treat this just like they would any other stop sign, since that is exactly what it is!! A regular ole stop sign… So we stop completely, yield to any pedestrians, and then if necessary, inch the vehicle forward slowly if visibility is blocked (due to other vehicles stopping for the 4-way stop sign or moving through the intersection in this case…) and/or if not necessary to inch forward, simply proceed when safe.

You don’t really get a ‘turn’ to go, (thank goodness too because I am not sure how to teach 11-way stop procedures lol) so your job is to figure out who is going where, and when you can safely go. Simple example: If there are 3 other cars at the intersection and they are all turning right, then there’s no conflict; you can all merrily proceed at the same time if you know for sure the other cars are actually going to turn. I know that doesn’t happen too often but you get what I mean. When you’re turning right you need to know who you need to worry about – other vehicles going straight or turning left, not vehicles turning to their right. If possible, while you are approaching, try to get a general idea of which order the other cars might be proceeding in.

The other thing to make sure new drivers are aware of is not to trust the turn signals of the other vehicles. If it has a turn signal flashing, this doesn’t mean the car will actually turn. Or sometimes it has no signal and it turns. so don’t move before you are sure it is 110% safe. But by all means if you stop and you see a safe gap, then go for it. Otherwise you are right, you might be there all day.. and we all know you got in your car to like.. go places. lol 🙂 At the very least, You should be able to go at the same time as the car relatively beside you at the 4-way stop, if there is one there going straight ahead, shouldn’t you? At that moment it would be almost impossible to have a conflict/collision with any other vehicle at the intersection. It kind of acts as a shield for you. That might not work if it went left, however, as opposing left turns might move simultaneously.

Hope that all made sense…

(sorry for the delayed response, by the way) I will make some diagrams up ASAP !! 🙂

1. Marie November 2, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Thanks Carmen! This looks great and makes total sense.

3. Mr.Rightofway July 21, 2017 at 2:26 pm

**Need some Help Please**

I stopped the same time as Truck to the right of me **BUT** ….
    at that very same moment, there was still a car turning left from “Truck Guys” lane

So I watch this car go by me and the then “Trunk Guy” goes next (Left Turn again) because he thinks he stopped before me, regardless of the car previously in front of him turning.

So for my question….does his right of way matter if the car from his lane is still completing its turn.

I hope not, because why should two car from the same lane go back to back because one is slow turning?

I’m super angry right now. Someone, please let me know if I’m wrong! He had such a douchey face too! ahh just got know… thanks

4. Shanaia May 24, 2017 at 4:43 pm

I have question. I am a cyclist and I was at a 4-way today, I had stopped and was going straight to the other side of the street. There was a car to my left turning right, and a car passing by my right going past me. The car that was turning was at a complete stop and the car going past me was not yet clear of the intersection as I went to cross the road. As soon as I started to cross the car to my left began turning, but the car going past me had still not cleared the intersection. The owner of the turning car began yelling at me and swearing as I went past and did not stop turning and almost hit me. I thought I was clear to go as another car was passing in front of the turning car and he was stopped but should I have waited?

1. Carmen May 25, 2017 at 7:13 am

Who stopped first? It sounds like all 3 were trying to move at the same time? I’m not sure exactly what you mean either can you send a diagram?

5. Denice October 4, 2015 at 9:25 pm

The age old rule for 4-ways – each direction takes turns counter-clockwise. In a city with constant traffic, say when power is out…. and 2 lanes of thru traffic in each direction, including a left-turn lane. The rule is even more important in this scenario. Otherwise the left hand turn is perilous. The secret being. If north bound straight thru lanes advance thru intersection – most often you will see the southbound straight thru lanes follow in kind. (as if in fact the lights were working), this creates the problem for the north bound turn lane – they are left out and must inch and squeeze thru, with potential advancing traffic. Following the Old standby rule, allows each direction equal turns, one care, each lane, advances. next to move, is to the right, northbound, westbound, southbound, eastbound, northbound, etc. not 2 opposing at same time when turn lanes are present.

6. Sam September 16, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Hi

I have my N driving test tomorrow. I am very confused on how to stop at the middle of intersection of you want to take left and person in front also wants to ale left.

Especially for the intersection where there are separate roads for left and right. You have to stop in the middle of the intersection before taking left. Do you stop on left side so that you can easily take left. Or do you stay at right during middle of intersection and take left when clear.

I am finding it difficult to explain the intersection but it can be any intersection when you get on king Edwards highway in point grey area.

Pls help

1. Saurabh September 17, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Cleared it .. boo yeahhh ..

just a couple of marks on my assessment sheet for right turns (turn position), other than that a spotless sheet.

I just used this blog, few youtube videos and a lot of driving around Point Grey area. Thankyou for having this up and maintained.

1. BCDrivingBlog September 18, 2015 at 7:51 am

Oh nice!! Congra’ts!!! your welcome :))) Happy N’ing!!!

7. Tom Tuttle February 10, 2015 at 1:31 pm

I wonder how you feel about the 4 way intersection at Maple & York. It is a two-way stop, but the stop sign has a tab (saying two-way). While riding my bike through I noticed the tab and hesitated thinking it was a four-way, but after going and taking a look it was found to say two-way in yellow. Unusual? This seems to invalidate your first sentence, that a tab indicates it is not a two-way intersection.

1. BCDrivingBlog February 10, 2015 at 4:45 pm

It seems that sentence was written in haste. I’ve fixed it. Thanks for that! 🙂

1. BCDrivingBlog February 10, 2015 at 4:50 pm

By the way I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many signs at one small intersection in my entire life! I counted 21 signs and tabs!

2. Mr.Rightofway July 21, 2017 at 2:32 pm

**Need some Help Please**
        I stopped the same time as Truck to the right of me **BUT** ….

1. Carmen July 21, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Hi. You said yourself you stopped “the same time as Truck to the right of me” So normally if 2 vehicles stop at the same time, we would simply yield to the right. I know what you are saying, but paying attention to slow vehicles exiting is just a distraction really.. I hope that made sense. That’s just my opinion.

1. 15-year Courier Driver January 20, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Mr. Rightofway stopped at the same time as the the truck… but the truck was one vehicle behind the solid white line on the road (ie one vehicle back in que). Truck driver should not have gone first. People do this all time.